Thursday, June 18, 2009

Software Paradigms

It has been a while since I've last heard someone mention web 2.0, but this is probably an old term already with many different meanings. I've started off as a web 2.0 developer about 2-3 years ago at a start up company that is surprisingly not "complete" yet with their projects. Many different skills were acquired and learned through those rougher times. The job gave me hands on experience on cutting edge ideas and gave me the opportunity to work on a project that was supposedly supposed to get a lot of publicity.

Even though i left, I still have some interest in the company but the employee's lack of passion is probably what drove me out. The CEO was probably the most passionate about the project but the people i worked for were just looking for something to pass the time and possibly pay some bills... not exactly the type of people i wanted to work with for long. I decided to leave after convincing myself that staying there was too much stress and probably unhealthy.

But the idea of web 2.0 to me was a way for the next generation of software to be all online and accessible through a simple browser or streamed via the Internet in some form. The idea of having programs online would decrease the need for applications on your own computer saving hard disk space and possibly preventing any software issues with the operating system. This idea surely should be adopted by everyone - but to some it is still new and probably risky for them to endeavour.

So with my current job working for my uncle, who has been consulting with clients with Microsoft marketing software CRM for years, I was assigned to do more crafty work that he literally had no time for. Although he did have a few connections who he often contacted for work opportunities, I was given a few chances to do their task and gain some experience. It has been months now and I got a better feeling about the CRM platform that I would have ever imagined and gained a lot of knowledge with C#, a big change from the java world.

Since most of my work is revolving around microsoft services and they all use the same login information, it would be convenient to utilize the already existing Windows Live account information instead of prompting for the credentials every time my program starts. So this is going to be a big step that i will need to overcome and will change a lot of my future programs - it is the start of something big and I hope i figure it out fast and keep at it. Lately I have been occupied with so many other projects and personal events this programming project has been taking longer than i wanted.

anyway blogging and watching people like steve jobs speak about their passion and their drive gave me a bit of motivation and allowed me to pass a checkpoint today and i would like the complete the next big one by tomorrow. the new sdk is supposed to be very promising and i hope it lives up to my expectations. For now i better get some sleep and keep my mind of all the good toys coming in the next few days - oh boy :D

No comments: