Monday, October 25, 2010

REVIEWs: The Try-pod Game

Tripods are a camera's best friend - especially when you're shooting without the flash on. I've have always liked the idea of a dependable lightweight tripod without breaking the bank. I've made quite a few poor investments in the beginning, but after all the trials with various setups I hope I have all the tripods I will ever need.

My very first tripod came from woot.com it was the SunPak 7500 for $30, it was inexpensive but very good and sturdy. Even though it was obviously made cheaply from China, it felt high quality and felt steady and the controls adjusted angles smoothly. The only problem with this product was that it was bulky and awkward to move around with - definitely a more heavy duty studio-type tripod. The next one i got was a set from Tripod-Guru which just turned out to be a waste of money because it was so fragile and flimsy; I broke a knob within the first day using it in the field. I would find myself spending extra time on this tripod to get a good angle; the tripod would jerk and move out of place easily. After the disappointing experiences, it wasn't long before I decided to look for some quality tripods to replace what I had because I could not tolerate unpractical or poor quality items.

At first, I couldn't believe the prices of the more professional Tripods with the more practical features. Brands like Gitzo scared me off at first because of their $300+ price tags as well as the need to purchase separate head systems. A head system is an adjustable mounting piece that attaches onto the tripods and it is where you mount your camera onto; most high end tripods manufacturers will let you decide on the head seperately. It took some time but I spotted a reputable tripod brand selling tripods at almost half price: the Induro C-113. This tripod cost me $120 it was made with the latest craze: carbon fiber - something that offers extra durability and reduces weight. It would have been great to get the cheaper aluminum because I felt the carbon fiber did not add much more value for the price premium. Induro, from my limited experience, made a very stable and solid tripod - there were no wiggles or loose parts that i could find. I was surprised that it also came with nice carrying bag and a set of tools on top of their 6 year warranty offer. I had a lot of high hopes for this carbon high-end tripod but it still felt pretty heavy with the first head system i bought for it.

The head system that i regret purchasing first was the Giottos MH-5001. This head system was the panning style which was more traditional but also had a quick-release design. Again, the only problem with this head was that it was just too bulky with the adjustment knobs in place; the head was so large fully assembled it couldn't even fit into the pouch it came with. Aside from my complaints though, it was a very good head if you were looking for one that offers steady panning at a decent price. After a few uses, I was looking for alternative solutions.

My next purchase was more simple: the monopod, something much lighter and very easy to carry anywhere. I found an older Manfrotto monopod on ebay for $50 and a matching headpiece on craigslist for $25. The combination was very solid and everything I expected of a quality product despite it being second hand. But because it was meant to support over 13 pounds, the monopod definitely felt heavier than it should have been. After some testing, I started liking the quality of Manfrotto, so I decided to get myself a new Manfrotto ball head that used the same quick-release system i became fond of. I quickly placed and order for the a Manfrotto ball head: the 496RC2. When it arrived, I noticed the newer Manfrotto head was made in China whereas all the older stuff I had been made in Italy - quite a change in quality i'd say (more plastic). The Manfrotto ball head was great, it was easier to adjust than my previous head systems thanks to the quick release ball clamp. After getting my monopod and tripod system, I thought my search was finally over but there was still that desire for something more portable and light.

It was about a few weeks later I saw a gorillapod at my local Fry's Electronics selling for $10 - something worth trying. The flexible and small legs on this tripod was not meant for my SLR - so I decided to test it with my sister's point and shoot. I was amazed at how well it performed; it could easily hold its form and also gave a lot of angles that you couldn't get any other way. The very first idea that popped into my head was wrapping it on a bicycle so that I could record video while i rode - this product was so versatile you can find an alternative use for it everyday.

There were other variants of these gorillapods as i researched more about them after my initial purchase. They all seemed to function the same but each variant increased in size and weight support. An interesting one was the iPhone kit that allowed you to use the smaller gorrillapod to hold your iPhone. This was particularly cool because I always wanted something to hold my phone while i watched Netflix on it - it was expensive at the time so I decided to wait.

I found myself getting the larger version of the Joby the very next week because Fry's had another sale. Instead of $10 it was now $100 for their top of tier product which also came with a ball head. At first I was very impressed at the price and tried hard to talk myself out of buying it. But eventually after some research, i just had to get it. I am glad I did also because this was the very item that solved my search for the practical, stable and dependable tripod.

The Gorillapod Focus was exceptionally sturdy and the ballhead was superbly smooth. I was very amazed at how great the quality was for the amount of money spent and was hooked on using it products and having fun with them. Also with the larger gorillapod, I was actually able to create my very own iPhone holder with the help of double-sided tape between a spare quick-release plate and the belt clip that came with my phone case.

Using the Joby head on the top of the carbon tripod, I was able to support an old telescope (for extension) with the Gorrillapod focus, Manfrotto head system, and iPhone attached. I felt like a genius to be able to make my very own iPhone mount with the tripod accessories I had. Sure it was very excessive but I now have a unique setup with two ball-heads of adjustment and also the luxury of watching Netflix while laying flat on my bed.

Another trick with the Gorillapod Focus was attaching it to my very own arm and shooting my camera with a remote trigger - I felt cool until my arm started hurting and changing colors.

Even though I spent more time talking about the GorillaPods, the Induro and Bogen/Manfrotto stuff was very good and solid and provided more conventional use. The GorillaPod was more of a toy: fun to use and might come in handy when you least expect it.

Summaries:

Induro C-113 Tripod
PRO: very sturdy, solid, and durable - 6 year warranty
CON: Does not fold up like those fancy Gitzo tripods
Very good if you can find for cheap, i paid $120 for mine

SunPak 7500 Pro Tripod
PRO: Cost effective and high quality
CON: Bulky and limited to only the integrated head system
Good if you wanted a large tripod for cheap.

Giottos MH-5001 Head System
PRO: Smooth and very solid
CON: Very bulky when fully setup
It will be a pain to disasemble/reassemble to fit it into your bags.

Bogen Manfrotto 3249 (old version) + 234RC Monopod
PRO: very solid, built to last
CON: isn't compatible with the 3-leg accessory with current Manfrotto monopods.
Lighter than tripods, and will give you the edge you need to take a better photo.

Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head
PRO: Quick Release Clamp for Adjusting
CON: Some parts are plastic, so this feels cheaper
My best ball head yet - recommended

Joby GorillaPod Classic
PRO: very versatile and light
CON: limited to P&S cameras, locking/unlocking the quick release mount can be difficult
A fun gadget if you wanted a tripod for the point and shoot.

Joby GorillaPod Focus + Ballhead X
PRO: versatile, supports up to 11 pounds, excellent ball head
CON: requires some muscle and patience to adjust the legs
This is something I would consider if you plan on traveling with an SLR.

No comments: