Thursday, October 21, 2010

Switching to Organic

I can't believe the day has come when I've converted my ways of thinking and actually contradicted a lot of my past beliefs of organic foods. The roasted perfection blog i recently posted was a how-to guide for roasting chicken; it was done so with an organic chicken we had leftover in the freezer. I had a very good and almost mind blowing experience with that chicken that i needed to do it again - this time testing out the difference between a $12 organic with the $4-5 supermarket bird; which is exactly what I've done yesterday.

So what happened? Well I can't say the chicken turned out bad because my family ate it and agreed it was pretty good. When i took my first bite, it tasted EXACTLY like that $5 Costco chicken I've had all my life. At first I was amazed and a little proud to have replicated the Costco chicken - feeling like it was some achievement. But then, shortly after, i realized how far off this chicken was compared to the organic one i cooked last week. I was so disappointed in the Foster Farms chicken that I would agree never to purchase this type of meat again... it is just far from what chicken should really taste like. I felt like a guy who has seen quality for the first time.

So i did more research and at the same time finished watching the Food Inc. movie on Netflix and realized just how much change is ahead of me. I believe my life going on forward will involve less meats just because the quality of meat I can afford is just a horrible idea now. I will probably be eating a more vegetarian diet with little or no red/poultry meat. I just hate low quality anything, it is just not my style and I was glad I could mimic the Costco chicken that most Americans and people worldwide love because it just showed how far inferior it was.

I think the journey with this new diet of mine will be a very healthy one and also a very committed one. Commercial products are all around us and it will be significantly harder to avoid eating it because even a vegetarian diet is not enough - I will have to go all organic and probably see myself spend more money inside Whole Foods (something i could never see myself doing).

No comments: