Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Realizing the World Around Me

Over the years, I've seen myself change through phases in my life - mostly progress towards figuring out more about myself in this world.

So far, I would consider myself a very open minded person especially to new topics often presented to me. These days I think more about my health and how my decisions affect the environment. Living in a digital world makes it much easier for anyone including myself to obtain information, research, and to educate themselves to just about anything.

Topics I find myself drawn to are about the environment; this definitely is something I realize that is deteriorating much quicker than people realize today. America is known to be the fattest nation, our country spends and produces much more food/products than it needs. All this excess goes to waste and the cost of all this is our environment and I realize that this needs to change. Every day we are destroying, killing, and polluting just to earn a living.

This last year, I made my trip towards vegetarianism and it was a difficult one that I've tried the lifestyle for about half a year. I'll be honest, it wasn't easy but the health benefits were obvious. After a month into just restricting myself to vegetables / fruits I noticed myself feeling a lot "cleaner". The mucus in my nose cleared up and it was a lot easier to breathe which has many of benefits I realized. After the first month I felt this was the proper way to live my life and it got easier as I went along but the society we live in makes it very difficult to continue it. Consuming meat seems more more efficient to get "full" than with fruits and vegetables. I find myself feeling more hungry when I avoided meats - plus spending much more money to sustain myself on fruits, vegetables, and grains. After trying it for a few more months eventually i found myself back to eating meat - but now i'm much more educated about what i'm eating and know the consequences of eating certain foods. These days, I tend to eat much less meat than I used to and will force myself to eat more vegetables/fruits when hungry. The whole experience was meaningful and people definitely should try it just to understand how and why they should eat properly.

This new way of thinking naturally steered me towards other related topics like the impact conventional farming has to our environment and the reason why some nations hate us. Education is key and i'm beginning to realize just how important it really is.

No comments: