Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII - Happy Jappy


Seems like this new final fantasy game is missing one thing: a dark side. This entire game has a weird storyline with confusing plot that i found very "basic". There was a lot of extra content in the game that i skipped on such as the extra stories generated by every new encounter within the game. But the game does deserves a lot of recognition for what was done right.

There is a lot to love about this game but it doesn't seem like it deserves the A grade that it could have received from me. I think the story was a bit too weird for me to understand, maybe some serious die-hard fan can help me out in the future but, as for now, i'm still not 100% sure i understood the ending/story.

The battle system was awesome, that is something i had fun with - even though it was only a single player game i see its potential use in the future. All u needed to do was control one character and the other two were on auto pilot, this saved a lot of time and repetitiveness that usually is part of the RPG formula. The battles were pretty good, and i think every new monster i faced in the progressing story had a chance to kill me; it was a challenge throughout the entire game.

I also thought they did a good job in selecting voice actors for the movie scene "conversations" -- the characters seemed more flavorful than a lot of the games out there. They all had good transitioning lines and i guess put that natural blend of lingo into their game.

Happy Jappy is a word introduced by a friend of mine and it seems to fit this game title pretty well. I found this game to be like a typical Japanese fanboy's dreamy game, every sexy character has perfect bodies and looks that meet the standards of fashion models. Hell, i can already see tons of people trying to dress up as these characters during some anime convention and buying those model figurines! I'd admit I was admiring how attractive the characters were, that might hint on the types of people who work in the final fantasy teams.

Another thing is the music in this game; they did a good job on their tunes and i love how soothing it is to my ears. But there isn't a really dynamic set of background music (BGM), most of the music is either neutral or "happy" hence the title i gave for this blog. I kept remember the scenes in Final Fantasy VII, one of the best FF games, where you would see blood trails left by the story's antagonist and it would switch to a very dark set of BGMs - this game def. isn't the same. This game so reminds me about japan's pop culture, very attractive singers that don't have the same level of talent as their looks.

Well after beating the game, it seems like it's not quite over yet since there are about 30+ side quests that were impossible to complete before. I dont even know if i want to try them since I'm already done with the game - that last boss wasn't even that difficult after i got the hang of it so what's the use in getting stronger.

Oh and that reminds me, this game has an upgrading feature for every weapon / accessory that you find / buy. Anyway they made the upgrading system very complicated and you would need to spend some hours figuring out the right amount of resources to upgrade efficiently. I made a few good upgrades and required the help of an excel spreadsheet and a few hours of proofing my formulas.

Overall, I like the game but I can't find a good reason to play it again. It is like watching a well-made movie with all the special effects and none of the story to make it great.

The photo on the top is a picture of Serah Fallon, The main character's sister and also probably the central goal of the game -- saving the world so that she can be revived automagically.

No comments: