Thursday, July 23, 2009

Harsh economic times... hitting my merchants!

Last week, I was a week of birthdays: my sister's, cousin's and eventually mine. I remember we went shopping for something good to eat on that first birthday - and something i've wanted to have for a long time was a donut.

Sure it would be easy to find a such a treat at a local supermarket, but it seems more genuine from a local shop. So we stopped by one across a safeway supermarket and, to my surprise, it had an open sign on the door. Donut shops were closing all over the city and it was hard to find one open when you actually wanted one; some shops close as early as 1:00PM.

Anyway as i walked in, i noticed no customers and a girl reading a physical science textbook and another girl (probably sister) much older. The older one, though a bit younger than myself, quietly walked behind the counter to take our order - it was very awkward because the place was empty and very quiet. It was like a stage was set and we walked right in - it was very difficult to even walk out of the shop because these guys desperately needed some customers! It was very sad and I think both my sisters later agreed that it was hard to see these donut shops continue. That was probably one of the most "rock-bottom" experiences I've had; i knew donut shops were having it tough but seeing it with your own eyes is a tough sight. After I walked out of the shop I wanted to share some ideas that would probably get the shop more attention, since there was no way they could compete with safeway's dozen donuts at half the price! Maybe make it an internet cafe or place for schoolwork / afterschool tutoring? Well i doubt this shop will live very long and i bet the owners are anxious to sell the business... I just hate how they are making their kids do work ... seems so wrong.

The more recent event was with wolf camera, after it has closed most of their store locations, it has partnered with another company to launch an online store. They had some amazing deals during the past month and didn't charge for shipping or tax! So during the 4th of july sale I ordered a camera and till this day i still have not received it! Actually after 45 days paypal will retract the payment if the merchant has not forfill the order and that was exactly the case. I knew going through wolfcamera was risky based on the 1 star reseller rating (bizrate) but man i did not expect it to be this terrible. A lady with an accent called me the other day requesting i "resubmit" my payment since paypal has retracted it - i just plainly said that i was not interested anymore and actually gave them my sympathy instead of complaining to them because i'm sure they've been treated badly by the american public already. It was probably so awkward for them they didn't even know how to respond to my statements; i told them i know they they were having hard times and wished them luck on recovery...

I canceled the order mainly because some newer cameras had features i wanted and the fact that my sister already got a similar point and shoot camera for her birthday.

No comments: